Safety Precautions on the Fells
- Check the local weather forecast before you set off and plan accordingly. Remember the weather can turn quickly!
- If weather conditions turn bad, don’t be afraid to change your plans, and if in doubt turn back.
- Ask other walkers coming down what the weathers and conditions are like up top
- Be prepared - check your gear - take waterproofs, spare warm clothing, hat, gloves. food and drink (water - at least 1.5-2 litres for a full day out), a map, a compass, a whistle and a survival bag.
- Make sure you know how to use your gear - especially the map and compass!
- Don't rely on mobile phones - trust me the signal can be random up top to say the least
- Remember your countryside code - no littering and leave gates as you found them!